Monday, February 2, 2009

1/31/09 - Mill Mountain Mayhem - Time Trail

Friday I decided to check out the Mill Mountain Mayhem 10k course and fine tune the course details. This was going to be my last long run leading into the Holiday Lake 50k on 2/14/09. I took off with a full camelback mule (100oz. water, first aide kit, and food). The plan was to run the MMM 10k course for time, then take the Woodthrush Trail to the Chestnut Ridge Loop Trail, take Woodthrush back to the Star Trail and back to the car at the Trailhead for a 16 mile loop.

I started the 10k at the midway point on the gravel road of the Star Trail and ended at the sign post at the top of the gravel road. I hit the Monument Trail at 12.5 minutes, the bottom of the Monument trail at 24 minutes, the Star Overlook at 44 minutes, and finished in 54:30. I hiked two sections of 100 steps on the old road between the Monument Trail and Big Sunny. The rest of the time I tried to go as hard as I could.

I think without the backpack I could finish the course between 51-52 minutes. I expect to see winning times in the 46-48 minute range and the end of the train at 90 minutes. This is a tough course with 1310ft of elevation gain. See the elevation profile at http://www.mountainjunkies.net/Mill_Mountain_files/Mayhem_Course_profile.jpg

This will be a lung burner and a fun course. You'll get to see most of the moutain, have some great downhills, see the old car crashed on the side of the mountain, run along side the zoo, and have a brief chance to look out over the Roanoke Valley at the Roanoke City Star overlook.

As of now the Official Course will start where the Star Trail crosses the Fishburn Parkway and will finish at the gate at the bottom of the Star Trail. This will be exactly 10k.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh,
You should run all the courses to give us a benchmark time to beat. Anyone who beats all your times could earn the proud designation of Mountain Junkie! You would be like the ghost runner of the races.
Paul

Mountain Junkies LLC said...

Since I don't run the actual race course on race day, I like to go out and run a course to see where I would fit in. I try to do this for each race but sometimes the course requires maintenance that takes away from my time.
I'm going to try to post that info here as much as possible.