Monday, April 27, 2015

It's been awhile, let's catch up - Road to Terrapin 50k

So here is the week preceding the Terrapin 50k,
3/10/15 - Ran the 6 mile loop and 1.5 mile cool down at HR
3/11/15 - Random 7.1 miles running in the hood.
3/13/15 - 6.9 miles marking the Montvale 5/10 Mile courses
3/15/15 - 10 miles of Random Running.
Total for the week - 31.45 miles running

3/17/15 - 7 miles running with raccoon encounter.
3/18/15 - Pre Race loop of 4.25 miles
3/20/15 - 2.2 miles to shake out the kinks.
3/21/15 - The Terrapin 50k.  This has always conflicted with out MJs schedule but we made a point to schedule around it this year.  I've been on the entire course, in sections many times over the years, in extreme conditions while on a bike and on foot. 
I figured I had the ability to run close to 5 hours on this run.  I started out the first climb to Camping Gap in a nice grove just getting things moving while not pushing it too hard.  From CG it was a long descent that had many sub 7 minute miles as we rolled in to the 2nd AS.  From here we had a climb and small descent to AS 3.  This the first time I had been on this section in daylight.  I had been on it in Hellgate and another adventure in the dark. 
The climb back up to CG was a doozy.  The goal was to consistently run this climb without tapping into the reserves or redlining.  Next up with the Promise Land lollipop loop.  I ran most of this loop and felt really good about how things were going, but in my mind I was still trying to keep things pulled back because of the steep up and downs coming on terrapin. 
Back to CG a 3rd time I was right on track of my time splits.  These had me at anywhere from 4:55 to 5:10.  As soon as I started the steep climb up Terrapin my legs started to cramp up.  I dialed it back and took a little time between hiking steps and was able to keep the legs from binding up.  I got to the overlook, made the punch, took in a quick scan of the view and was off.  I was a little confused on this section because I wasn't sure where to go but I was off to the next punch at fat man's misery.  I lost a little time in these punch points due to my confusion but it went well. 
Now for the descent.  In the steepest section I heard the patter of Bethany's feet gaining on me.  We talked a short time then I pulled aside after the steepest rock garden and she was out of sight in no time.  My down hill ability has taken a bit of a beating over the last 6 months due to some ankle issues but I thought I'd be able to keep up with her.  I was mistaken. 
From here I was just trying to keep from trashing my quads as we rolled in to the finish.  The last section was rolling uphill back to the road we ran at the start of the race.  I remember this section as contouring around the mtn with little climbing, but there was more climbing and mileage to it and I lost quite a bit of time here.  I should have been able to roll through this section but I didn't have the leg turnover to make it happen.  Fortunately, after Bethany, no one else passed me and I was able to roll in at 5:03.32 and 12th place.  All in all, I was happy with the day and outcome.  Not my favorite type of course but a great day in the woods none the less. 
As a side note.  Following Terrapin I was more sore than I've been in years following a race.  Still, today, I'm not so sure as to why that race was different.  Maybe it was the long sections of fast road running that did it. 

No comments: