Monday, July 26, 2021

Catherine's Furnace 50k

Race #1 of the "West" and Wild, Fall preparation was this past weekend.  On 7/23/21 James and I left for Rocktown (Harrisonburg) in preparation of the 7/24/21 Catherine's Furnace Fat Ass 50k, between New Market and Luray.  

Fat Ass events have certain qualities;

- Zero or minimal entry fees
- No shirt
- No awards
- Minimal Aid
- A range of zero Course Markings to fully marked course

See all the race details here.  The Course is a lollipop loop with a common 10 mile section out and back and an 8 mile loop section in the middle, 3 big climbs with a total of 5700ft of climbing.    

The goal was to use this as a training race and to enjoy time on new to me trails.  It was going to be a hot and humid day so I wasn't sure what to expect in regards to performance.  

The race started out with a mile or so of rocky runnable terrain.


As we got in to the long 1600ft climb up to Bird Knob I fell in with a group of 6 and just followed. 

Bird Knob was a McAfee's Knob style rocky overlook looking over New Market. 


We ran the ridge for awhile before dropping down to the first aid station.  This ridge was similar to Tinker Cliffs.  It was runnable with large embedded rocks and a trail covered in pine needles.  

I opted to pass by the first aid station, thinking I would be fine until AS 2.  I felt fine now but I'm pretty sure I should have been drinking more.  

From there, it was some very rocky and technical trail up to the second ridge, on the infamous Purple Trail




and then a steep rocky descent leading to more runnable terrain to the second aid station at Catherine's Furnace.

I topped off with water and was on my way pretty quickly.  From here we had a 2.5 mile run, gradually climbing on a gravel road.  

Next was AS 3 where again I opted to not take any water and roll on through.  Probably another bad idea.  Side note, you ever see that SNL skit, "Bad Idea Jeans"

We were now on the Morgan Run Trail.  This was a rocky trail that went straight up the Hollow, meandering over rocks and trees, across streams, through muddy sections with logs in them to help provide footing, through a former controlled burn area that ultimately led to an overgrown Forest Service Road.  Along this road  I started to get the first cramps of the day, at about mile 16.  At AS 4 we came to another gravel road that descended back to Catherine's Furnace and AS 5.

I topped off my water and resupplied my food for the return trip to the finish.  From Catherine's we were going to retrace our steps back up the 3.2 miles and 1600ft to the top of the Purple Trail climb.  Anyone who's been here before will remember the Purple Trail.  Just ask them about it.  

This was a slow slow hike up to the top, in the heat of the day, while nursing some cramps.  Finally to the top and now one half mile loose rocky section back to AS 6.  Here I topped off my water and removed my left shoe to remove a few pebbles and then was on my way back to Bird Knob and the final 4.5 miles to the finish.  Trying to take a shoe off while dealing with cramps takes some patience.  It's not an easy or fun process.

Different than the beginning of the race, we skirted around the Bird Knob Trail, staying on the Orange Trail.  This looked to be an old Forest Service Road lined with mountain laurel and about 10 of these large anthills.  This whole section of trail was covered with ants doing their thing.  


From here it was a 4 mile rocky technical descent to the finish.  My toes had been pretty beat up and the soles of my feet were pretty bruised up, so I limped my way to the finish in around 6:20 and getting the coveted CFA-50k sticker.  


No comments: