Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ultra Retrospective

This is my Pre Hellgate 100k write up that I didn't get finished and posted.  I've been absent in my posts for the last 9 months and I'm going to try to do better (an ankle injury last January derailed my blog enthusiasm). 
Why do I think my story is important or special - I'm an ordinary guy, who grew up overweight, found trail running in 2001 and over the last 12 years I've become competitive, have learned countless lessons, have stayed relatively injury free (except for rolling ankles on rocks and roots) am a better person, have directed and promoted 39 events, have been surrounded by the trail running community for the last 5 years, and feel like anyone is capable of what I've done. 
--
Here is the 12/7/12 story.  So today I'm feeling a little nostalgic as I get ready to start the 10th Hellgate 100k.  This will be my 25th Ultra and first race over 50 miles since the inaugural Hellgate in 2003.  A lot of things have changed, a lot of miles have been run, and some lessens have been learned. 
Quick autobiography;
I grew up an overweight kid.  I only ran if I had to, and objected to it then.
At the age of 13 I started going to the gym to lift weights for shot put and discuss.
    I lived at the gym.  Until I got my drivers license I would leave school, walk to the gym, lift weights, and then head to my dad's office for a ride home.  I'm sure I was a pest to the gym owners because I spent hours there, I would ask questions, and I learned a lot about lifting, health, and nutrition. 
    HS football is where I started to lose weight and became obsessed with getting as big and strong as possible.  It also had the side effect of making me a bully to get back at those that made fun of my weight all the years before.  Anyway, I had some success, I was able to squat 500+lbs, bench 365, and deadlift over 500.  Lifting was the first significant fork in the road.  I choose the right path. 
    At 16 when I had my license I started working out at another gym and pestered this guy, Mark, everyday until he gave me a job.  I finally broke him down and I worked here from age 16-20, working the 6-9am and 6-9pm shifts ($4 an hour, big money, right?).  Side note; this is also where I met my best friend and wife Gina.  She was a gym rat too (she lifted some serious weight in her time).
   At 20 I went off to Logan College of Chiropractic.  I kept on lifting and learning.  A big lesson that I learned there is a difference between fitness and health.  So many athletes are viewed as healthy because of what they do.  But many of these athletes don't lead healthy lifestyles.  Being fit and eating like the standard American is not the path to health. 
Age 23 to present:
I graduated on 8/8/98
Gina and I got married on 8/15/98
We moved to Virginia on 8/23/98
I opened the Chiropractic office up on 11/2/98
8/1/01 we went on a run up McAfees Knob.
From this one run we began running, exploring, and adventuring on almost every possible trail and fire/jeep road around the area.  To this day we still do the same.
12/8/01 I ran my first race the Jingle Bell Run 5k in 21:20
2/16/02 I ran my first 50k the Holiday Lake 50k in 5:28
In 2002 I wanted to do all of the Lynchburg Ultra Series but I got sick right before the Mountain Masochist 50 miler and had to be a DNS.  Since I was trained and ready I entered the JFK 50 miler the next month - 9:34.  Man, that one was tough.  Too much road for me.
In 2003 I completed the LUS and shortly after, talk of Hellgate came about.  So, not knowing if I would ever be in Hellgate shape I decided to enter the first ever Hellgate 100k.  I think Horton, the race director, called finishers of the LUS + Hellgate, finishers of the Horton Slam.  I still tell everyone I was the first Horton Slam finisher coming in 9th at the first zero degree, ice and snow covered Hellgate 100k.  I don't think the Horton Slam exists anymore. 

I enjoy trail racing and trail runners.  I like the mental side of Ultra racing.  Gradually over time I've gotten more competitive.  I've started to finish in the top 10 with a handful in the top 3 finishes and my first Ultra win this year at the Willis River 50k. 

Tomorrow my goal is to be top 10 and under 13 hours.

No comments: