Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Training Week 3/5/12


The saga of my right heel issue is still ongoing.  I've had moments of healing and then I do too much or something bad happens.  I'm no opposed to taking time off but I am conflicted about "losing" the fitness I started the year with.
This week is a race week.   We are participating in the Autodrop Ltd. Double Shot.   This is a 2 (6 mile lap) mtn bike followed by a 13.2 mile road bike ending with a 2.2 mile Cat 3 climb up to the top of Hanging Rock.
3/6/12 - Went to the gym and did the spin bike for 40 minutes and ran 2 miles on the treadmill in my Five Fingers.  Later in the evening Gina and I rode our mtn bikes in Fishburn Park.
3/7/12 - Ran the 6 mile loop in 41:20.  Ankle felt OK.  Pace was good.
3/9/12 - Mtn Biked 6.5 miles on my typical pre-race loop to get the legs in order and make sure the bike is functioning OK.
3/10/12 - Participated in the Double Shot at Hanging Rock State Park in NC.  This was a le mans style start that had me on my bike in about 15th position.  We did a loop around the parking area and hit the road for about 300 yards before hitting the trail.  I should have entered in a little better position but didn't want to redline before we hit the trails.  I continually come away with the thought of "it is best to hit it hard and the trail in good position rather than go in at a good pace and ramp it up from there."   It take a lot of energy to get around mtn bikers, especially early in the race when no one wants to give up a position.
     Anyway, I didn't get passed any on this 13 mile mtn bike section, made the transition and hit the road for a very hilly road bike leg.  This is the first time I've raced on a road bike.  It was fun.  At about the 10 mile mark of the road section my legs started to get spent and I worried about the climb to the finish.  The climb to the top and finish wasn't as bad as I had thought.  I needed all my gears but was able to transition from seated to out of the saddle pedaling all the way to the top.  I hit the line in 11th place and at about 2:02:34.  I was happy with the effort and ended up about 2 minutes behind Kenny Palmer.
     The race was a good training race for the 6 hours of Warrior Creek on 4/7/12.
3/11/12 - My legs were pretty tired and sore following the race.  Gina and I did a mtn bike loop at Montvale to check on the trails there for our race in two weeks and then I did an easy 4 mile run later that afternoon.
12 miles running, 29.5 mtn biking, and 25.2 road biking.

No comments: