Monday, June 10, 2013

Week May 20th to June 9th

Here is a recap of the weeks following the Smoky Mtn Traverse - http://mountainjunkies.blogspot.com/2013/05/51313-week-of-smoky-mountain-traverse.html

5/21/13 - 6 mile loop and 1.5 mile cool down.
5/22/13 - 8.15 - Ran at the cove, road in, 1000ft climb to the Drop, down the drop to comet, lower comet and out on the road.  Felt decent on the 1000ft climb and legs are feeling good despite the previous weeks activity.
5/24/13 - 13.4 - Ran 4 gorge and the lower loop at the cove while marking the CtC course.
5/25/13 - 7.6 miles - Hiked up McAfees for a sunset and moonrise hike.
5/26/13 - 10 miles - Woodthrush - Chestnut Ridge - Woodthrush.
Total for the week; 46.65 miles running
All in all I felt pretty good this week following the big efforts in the Smokies.

Following the 5/26/13 run I started having left tibialis anterior muscle strain issues.  It bothered me on that run but wasn't too bad until I stopped and afterwards was having a lot of pain with each step.
5/27/13 - Decided to ride the Trough/Gauntlet loop to cut out some trees and mark those trails for the CtC races.  Leg hurt the whole time.
I decided to take the week off until 5/31 when Gina and I biked the entire CtC Marathon course to mark it and put out the mile markers.  28 miles of mtn biking.
Total for the week;  35 miles of mtn biking.
It ended up being a decent week to take off from running since I needed to give myself a break from the last few weeks of effort and in preparation for the Conquer the Cove races.  That event puts a lot of stress on me and dealing with that stress alone was probably a good thing.

6/3/13 - Ran 6 miles as a test for my leg.  Still feels off but the run went OK.
6/4/13 - Ran the 6 mile loop and 1.5 mile cool down.
6/5/13 - Ran the gauntlet and trough loop.  I hit the Gauntlet pretty hard to test things out and it went well.  The gauntlet is a nice time trial trail.  It isn't too long but it can really hurt.  It is a good place to test the lungs and hill climbing legs.  I usually time things from the gate at Timberview to the top of Gauntlet.  I think I've been in the 30's a few times and this time was in the upper 32's.
6/7/13 - 21.41 miles running from our house on the greenway.  The greenway was closed due to the low water bridge being out, so I ran on Main Street to Elm to Jefferson to Walnut and back to the greenway.  From here I ran to the Star Trail Trailhead and took Woodthrush to the top and then the Star Trail to the pedestrian crossing.  At this point I ran the entire Mill Mountain Mayhem 10k course back to Woodthrush and then continued to the Parkway Spur where I took the Fern Park Trail and then hit the greenway and headed back home.  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/324183286
The run felt pretty good but I was spent at the end.  It was a humid morning and I was soaked at the end.
6/9/13 - 9.25.  Ran to the bridge street greenway, smith park, and then back through the cemetery.
Total for the week;  52.16 miles of running.
Decent week of mileage.  Now I have a new pain at the proximal 4th metatarsal.  Not too bad but enough to make me worry a bit.  I'd hoped to hit this race in good form but random issues are popping up. 


No comments: