Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Recovery Week II 9/8/14

It is interesting that this article came out on www.irunfar.com -
Recover Better: 10 Rules For Optimal Ultramarathon Recovery
http://www.irunfar.com/2014/09/recover-better-10-rules-for-optimal-ultramarathon-recovery.html
An understated point that I see a lot of people ignore, is - No matter who you are, the rules still apply - Everyone can be a victim of overtraining.  Elite and casual runners have the same rules.  Just because you don't see yourself as an elite, fast, competitive (fill in the blank) doesn't mean you can fall prey to overreaching/overtraining.

It is an extension to the 3 part series that I mentioned in the last post.  Good rules, but how to practice these still seems very subjective.  Doing a better job at recovering seems to be the next "art" of training.  Figuring this out or the how to do less to get the most will be the key to success.

9/9/14 - 7.5 miles.  6 mile loop at HR and then a 1.5 mile cool down.  My heart rate and uphill power are still off from the Iron Mtn 30 miler. 
9/10/14 - 7.35 miles around Fishburn and Winding Way.  HR is still high and my power is way off going up even the slightest hill. 
9/12/14 - 10.6 miles around Grandin Court and Fishburn Park.
9/13/14 - Ran 8 on the Greenway and did a 1 mile cool down
9/14/14 - Ran 10 on the greenway and did a .3 mile cool down.
Total for the week; 44.45 miles running.
I feel good but my legs and HR are still recovering.  My HR up hills is off.  I'm really not sure what that is all about but speculate that it is a sign I need an extended recovery period. 

Got my Bluetooth HR monitor this week and started playing with the www.myithelete.com HRV app.  This is an app that was mentioned in the Maffetone "big book of endurance training" and is supposed help you know when to recover and when to GO based on your "Life" stress and how your body is adapting to it.  It is supposed to be able to help you know when to go and when to give your body a break based on how you are handling your day to day stress demands.  I'll post something when I get a chance to make sense of the info. 

No comments: