Sunday, February 8, 2015

Getting Ready for my 7th Holiday Lake 50k

This coming Saturday will be my 7th Holiday Lake.  My times have varied quite a bit.  I was looking through my training log and this is what it told me.
2002 - 5:28:23
2003 - 5:28:23 Snow / Mud
2004 - 5:31:31
2009 - 5:04:04
2010 - 5:37 Snow Year
2011 - 4:33:16

I think a similar performance to 2011 is possible.  I think, with good weather, a range of 4:20-4:40 is doable.  We'll see. 

Training so far in 2015 has been pretty good. 
The first week of the year ended with a 17 mile loop at the peaks of otter - Falling water cascades, Flat Top, Harkening Hill and then a balls to the wall run up Sharp Top.  51.13 miles for the week.

The second week was a recovery week with no run over 10 miles and a total of 38 miles for the week.

The third week was a big one.  I had a 22.5 mile long run on the Glenwood Horse trail.  From Day Creek I ran up to Black Horse Gap, the AT to Spec. Mines, down to the gravel road to Hammond Hollow Trail, the AT to Bobblett's Gap, down to the GHT and back to Day Creek.  Total miles for the week 64.5

As a final big week for Holiday Lake I decided to do a faster long run.  At Heart Rate (142), I ran from home to Mill Mountain, did Woodthrush, CRL, Fern Park, and then a mix of greenway and road back home for a 20.5 mile run.  I was able to hold an 8:20 pace for this run.  Total for the week 50.15

For the last week of January we had plans to go down to Brevard and run in the Pisgah National Forest.  We did a few moderate runs with elevation but nothing to rough.  In this down week I got in 41.7 miles. 

In this last week of tapering we had our wazUPwidis race.  These stressful weeks don't lend themselves to good training but I was able to squeak in a few 8 milers to get in 31.5 miles. 

The plan for this week will be to run my usual 7.5 miles on Tuesday, 4-5 easy on Wednesday and then coast in to Saturday's race rested and ready. 

No comments: